About the Department
The Department scientifically conducts the research projects on various castes belong to Scheduled Castes and Other Deprived Castes. This may be helpful to various concerned departments of Government of Maharashtra to formulate and modify the schemes and policies. This department also promotes the research collaboration with renowned research institutes, universities and individual research scholars.
Project 1 – A Study of Socio-Economic and Educational Status of the Mang Garudi Community in Pune District
· The aim of the study was to understand the socio-economic-educational and other backwardness of Mang Garudi Community of Maharashtra.
· A survey of 1273 households had been conducted in Pune district. Prior to this, a pilot survey had been conducted in Bhandara-Gondia, Pune and Nashik to know the demographic details and issues related to the community.
· Final report of the study has been prepared.
· On the basis of the study, the research article has been written and submitted to a reputed journal in India.
Project 2- A Study of Socio-Economic and Educational Status of the Holar Community
· The objective of study is to understand the socio-economic and educational condition of Holar community of Maharashtra.
· Discussions and meetings with Holar community leaders and activists were organized with the aim of understanding the characteristics and problems of this community.
· Literature Review had been carried out.
· Out of total 6686 households, 20 per cent households had been selected for study using simple random sampling.
· Total 1380 households were covered from Beed, Parbhani, Solapur and Sangli districts under data collection process.
· Data entry and data analysis work is completed.
· A Draft Report writing is in progress.
Project 3- Institutional Research Collaboration
· Received proposals have been reviewed.
· The standard format for Research proposals has been prepared as per UGC norms and expert’s suggestions and send to each institution concerned.
· Appealed 19 scrutinized institutions to resend their proposals in common format.
· Received 11 modified proposals.
· Final selection of the proposal has been completed. Under this research, proposal of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathvada University (BAMU) has been selected titled “Educational and socio-economic status of Gatai Charmakars in Aurangabad and Nasik – A comparative study”
· Primary data collection has been started under this study.
Project 4- Survey of Availability of Amenities to Settlement of more than 50% of Scheduled Castes Population in Maharashtra
· The aim of this study is to understand the status of amenities available in SC settlements and to explain the reasons behind poor quality, inadequacy and unavailability of basic amenities.
· Concept note has been prepared
· State level Data regarding to 50% SC households were collected and primarily analyzed.
· 20 % sample has been selected on basis of Simple Random Sampling.
· One-day training for investigators has been organized with the aim to introduce them the Dalit wasti project, and questionnaires.
· About 80% data collection has been completed.
· Scrutiny of the collected data and data entry is in progress.
Project 5: A Study of ‘Present socio-economic status of SC Girls who completed Higher Education’ in Maharashtra
· Preparation of concept note is in progress.
· Started the collection of the list of medical, engineering and law Colleges in Pune and Aurangabad districts.
Project 6: Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar: An Eminent Economist”
· Proposals for research on Dr. B. R. Ambedkar- An Eminent Economist had been invited. Aim of the project is to undertake the research on vision of Dr. Ambedkar on economic reform and related fields and its present relevance.
· The received proposals were scrutinized.
· Meeting has been organized to have a dialogue with selected researchers.
· MoU have been done with selected researchers.
· Following research projects have been selected under this project:
1) Economic Thoughts of Dr. B. R. Ambedkar and Its Relevance in the World Economic Context” from Solapur University
2) “Dr. Ambedkar: An Eminent Economist” from Mumbai Univeristy
3) “Relevance of Dr. BabasahebAmbedkar’s Economic Thought to the Agrarian Distress and Farmers’ Suicide in Maharashtra” from Dr.Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathvada University (BAMU)
4) “Collective Farming and Contemporary Challenges: Dr.Ambedkar’s Thoughts on Agriculture” from Sathye Mahavidyalay, Mumbai.
· Primary as well as secondary data collection work has been started under the projects mentioned above.
Project 7: On the occasion of Bharatratna Dr. Babasaheb Ambedker’s birth anniversary following competitions have been organized:
1) State level Ekantika (play) competition on Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar’s book on Ánnihilation of Caste’
2) State level essay writing competition on how to develop personality like Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar in Family.
3) Documentary on Social harmony.
Project 8: Study of Bhatake Gosavi Community in Maharashtra.
· Literature review work and concept note preparation is progress.
Project 9: Study of Mhasan Jogi Community in Maharashtra
· Questionnaire has been developed aiming to collect data on Socio- Economic condition of Mhasan-jogi community.
Project 1: Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar National Research Fellowship (BANRF).
One of the key objectives of BARTI is “To institute, offer and grant prizes, awards, scholarships, fellowships, stipends in furtherance of the objectives of the society”
Eligibility for the fellowship:
Provisions in the fellowship programme:
SPNRF – Savitribai Phule National Research Fellowship – Year 2015
JPNRF – Jyotiba Phule National Research Fellowship – Year 2015
CSNRF- Chhatrapati Shahu National Research Fellowship – Year 2015
Project 2: A Comparative Ethnographic study of Scheduled Caste and other castes (2013)
BARTI is an autonomous organization working under Government of Maharashtra for the development of Schedule Castes. It controls and coordinates the working of all caste validity committees (CVCs) in Maharashtra state.
Taking the advantage of similar caste names it has been noticed that some open category and other castes avail the benefits meant for the scheduled castes, other backward castes, Vimukta Jatis and nomadic tribes. The real beneficiaries suffer and are unable to avail the benefits meant for them. This poses serious challenge before caste validity committee while establishing validity of caste certificate. To compound the problem there is severe lack of written literature/documentation available on certain castes among Scheduled castes. Even the census reports show the population of some of these castes is very low. BARTI being the coordination agency of CVCs in Maharashtra, thus felt the need of a study on finding the similarity and differences on crucial aspects of such vulnerable castes and other castes taking illegal benefits.
As every caste has its own characteristics, customs, traditions, rites and rituals by which the caste can be recognized, the objective here was to conduct a comparative ethnographic study of pseudo castes with the real castes. Accordingly, the below mentioned castes have been included for detailed study:
Project 3: Key Research Areas (54 topics) (Year 2012 - 2015)
From 2012 after a no. of brainstorming sessions with experts from various fields BARTI came up with a list of research areas related to Equity and Social Justice, Removal of Caste Bias, development of Scientific Temperament, Ethics and Moral Values, Fraternity and brotherhood, National Integration, Communal Harmony, Peace and Tolerance, Justice for women, Removal of Disparity, etc.
This list is not exhaustive. It is representative of the kind of research that BARTI envisages to encourage. We encourage research in all areas connected to Social Justice and Equity. The list of Key Research Areas is displayed on BARTI’s Website.
Remaining Projects are listed below:
Project 4: Removal of Area Restriction in respect of Kaikadi Community in Maharashtra and enlist them in the list of Scheduled Castes” (2014- 2015):
Project 5: Caste Panchayats/Gavaki: Study of affected families from Maharashtra (2015): (2014- 2015):
Project 6: Compilation of State Backward Class Commission reports - Documentation and Indexing project (2014-2015):
Project 7: Census Compilation for SCs population (2014-2015):
Project 8:Study of the situation of Safai Karamcharis in Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC), (2015-2016):
Project 9:Workshops (2013-2016):